Main benefits of single-ended amps:
- Extremely responsive
- highly interactive and touch sensitive
- purist design with a minimum of components
- direct signal path
- pure, natural distortion
Dating back to the first days of vacuum tubes single-ended amplifiers are nothing new. However, the Palmer DREI incorporates THREE of these providing three times the output power of a standard single-ended design! Moreover, it accepts a variety of output tubes which all have their own unmistakable sound characteristics.
The EL84 is bright and “British” sounding with tons of distortion (think Vox amps), the 6V6 provides somewhat darker tones with a smoother “American” distortion flavor (think Fender), and while it is tight and bright at lower volumes the 6L6 becomes progressively darker when driven hard. With the Palmer DREI you can mix and match power tubes from three distinct amplifier tones and thus create your own voice.
The Palmer DREI works with the following power tubes:
Three different single-ended amps in a single unit – that’s the Palmer DREI formula!
- V1 – V3: ECC83 / 12AX7 Hand Selected Preamp Tubes
- V4: EL 84 / 6BQ5 (Power Amp „Eins“), 5 Watt RMS ouput power
- V5: 6V6S (Power Amp „Zwei“), 5 Watt RMS output power
- V6: 6L6GC (Power Amp “Drei”), 8 Watt RMS output power
- V7: GZ34 / 5AR4 (Rectifier)
- Special design transformers, 200 mA full anode current choke
- Regulated DC Preamp heating voltage
- Only 5 passive parts on signal way, all tube design
- Vorstufe (Preamp controls): Normal Sättigung (LF, Muddy overdrive), Höhen Sättigung (HF, Tight overdrive), Klang (Tone control)
- Endstufen (Power amplifiers): Eins (Volume control for EL 84-Single ended tube), Zwei (Volume control for 6V6S-Single ended tube), Drei (Volume control for 6L6GC tube)
- Strom (Power on-switch), Bereit (Standby-switch)
- Eingang (Input): 6,3 mm Jack, 1M ohm, tuned for passive pickups
- Lautsprecherausgänge (Loudspeaker outputs):6,3 mm Jack, 4 ohm, 8 ohm, 16 ohm